Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My Way Better Half

In my last post, I talked about who I am regarding the relationships I have, and went on to describe my wonderful children. The 7 of them get a post, and Lisa, the love of my life gets a post all to herself.

If you know me, chances are you know her. And if you love us, chances are it is mostly because you know her. Now this isn’t because I am completely unlovable (so I am told), but because she is so completely lovable. I was telling someone the other day that when we were newly married and Lisa was still going to college, she waited tables, and we really relied on the tips she made to get along. You see, she was just a natural. She could and can warm up to people and start to form relationships just that fast. I am more of a crock-pot kind of guy (in many ways), and only begin to appear appealing after hours of slow cooking.

Lisa was my high school sweetheart, and just like many high school sweethearts, we got married young, much to the chagrin of the elders in our lives. Of course, we knew all and they didn’t. Luckily for us, God had plans for us, and He bailed us out after ~8 years of toil, and it has been nothing but bliss since then. Not really, but compared to the first 8 years, the last 12 have been relatively “happily ever after”.

She graduated from Idaho State with a degree in primary education shortly before I got out of the Navy, so she is the educated one in the family. Whenever the kids have a tough question I tell them to talk to her, because of this fact. Now she teaches all of our children as we home school all but our oldest, Jeff, who put in his first year of public school last year as a freshman. I know there are days when she wants to send them all somewhere else to school, but she loves doing this, is passionate about it being what is best for our children, and would have life no other way.

So that is where she and I have been, and what she has done, and these things describe some of who she is, from my perspective…

Lisa is a woman of great faith…
She is my bride of 20 years…
She completes me and makes me what I could not be without her…
Her prayers sustain me through the struggles of this life…
She is a loving, praying mom to all of her kids…
She wants them to be healthy, responsible, respectful children who know who made them, and who calls them to be His own…
She doesn’t want them to settle for what they almost could be, but everything they can be…
She prays for our kid’s spouses, wherever they might be…
She is a woman of great depth and character…
Kids love her…
She loves… seafood and rich, dark chocolate…to sleep…flowers and gardens…tropical fish and salt water aquariums…foot massages…eating lots of popcorn while watching movies…to be warm…coffee made by me, served in bed (especially when camping)…to be read to…to have music played for her…a rare quiet bath tub…family time together…did I say chocolate?
She tolerates my sense of humor…
She has a servant’s heart and loves to love on people with food…
She likes classic chick flicks, and “What About Bob?” and “Fletch” …
She likes it when I drive and she sleeps…
She likes being around real people who are positive and loving…
She is not afraid of change or adventure…

…which is a good thing since she and I have lived in 15 homes in 9 states in our 20 years together. If given the chance we would surely do a couple things a little differently, but even the mistakes were used by God to make us into what we are today, one flesh.

I love you Lisa.

No comments: